Excessive uric acid within the body threatens people’s health. It is the end product of a substance known as purines. Too much uric acid in the body is due to the lesser amount of digestive enzyme, uricase, which aids in the elimination and neutralization of the uric acid. If not excreted this can cause build up and crystallization.
Gout is one condition suffered by people with excessive amount of uric acid in the body. It is a type of arthritis commonly manifested by its presence in the big toe. Too much uric acid in the blood and tissues can cause swelling, inflammation, and pain not only in the big toe but also in some parts of the body. Gout arthritis can last for a few hours but sometimes it can be suffered for several days.
Commonly high levels of uric acid are caused by the certain foods taken in within the body. A list of gout causing foods must be avoided in order to prevent disturbance in your normal way of life.
Low potassium can also lead to increase urate in the blood but commonly it is caused by foods taken in and not digested properly. A list of gout causing foods includes the following.
1. Meat such as bacon, organ meats, sweetbreads, meat broth and gravies, bullion, meat extracts and offal.
2. Sea foods such as sardines, shrimp, crab, salmon, trout, mackerel, cod, anchovies, herring, and mussels.
3. Yeast products that includes beer and baked goods.
4. Poultry such as goose and turkey.
5. Vegetables such as cauliflower, cooked spinach, asparagus, beans, peas, mushrooms, lentils, and rhubarb.
6. Coffee and caffeine that break down protein to uric acid.
7. Alcohol that increases uric acid levels and prevents elimination of it through the kidneys.
8. Aspirin also increases uric acid.
9. Fried foods cause a rise of uric acid by Vitamin E depletion.
10. Saturated fats, simple sugars and carbohydrates such as fructose increases uric acid and damage the kidney.
11. White flour, whole grains and oatmeal.
12. Pastries and ice cream
Gout can be managed with the use of medicines such as NSAID’s and cortisone. Use of massage is also helpful. There are also natural remedies such as herbal medicines. It is most important that we are knowledgeable enough of a list of gout causing foods and try to prevent eating all of it or just take it in a smaller amount.